A trademark helps to distinguish a business’s unique products and services from what another business offers. A trademark can be a word, slogan, logo, symbol, design or even a sound. Why should any new business select a trademark that will be both federally registrable and legally protectable? How do you apply for a federal trademark registration?
You are welcome to register and attend this trademark seminar, given by a managing attorney from the USPTO, for a discussion on this interesting topic.
This seminar will address common issues regarding trademarks, such as:
- How do trademarks, copyrights, patents, domain names, and business name registrations all differ?
- Why should any new business select a trademark that will be both federally registrable and legally protectable?
- What are the critical factors when choosing a mark?
- Why is it important to do a complete trademark search, and should you use an attorney?
- What should you do if another trademark owner sends a "cease-and-desist" letter?
- How do you apply to seek federal registration and what is the role of the USPTO?
- How do you avoid "scams" perpetrated by companies that request fees for services not required by the USPTO?
- What happens after registration?
Craig Morris works within the Office of the Commissioner for Trademarks in the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO), Alexandria, Virginia. Currently, he is the Managing Attorney for Trademark Educational Outreach, spearheading the effort for increased USPTO educational activities in the area of trademark fundamentals. For fourteen years prior, he headed the Trademark Electronic Application System, helping move the Trademark Operation toward a total e-government environment. Mr. Morris has been with the USPTO since 1983, previously serving as a Law Office Examining Attorney, Senior Attorney, and Managing Attorney.
Location: Student Center Piedmont Room, 350 Ferst Drive, Atlanta, GA 30332.*
* Visitors need to park at one of the visitors parking lots on campus. The closest parking spaces are Visitors Area 2 or Area 3, near the Student Center (350 Ferst Dr NW, Atlanta, GA 30332). More questions on directions? Call the library services desk at 404-894-4500.